Patent Attorney and Partner, Sydney | BE(Hons), LLB
Direct +61 2 9322 4017
Carl has expertise in patents and designs in the fields of communications, consumer devices, electronics, electromechanical devices, ophthalmic devices and software applications. His practice combines filing and prosecution activities with contentious matters, including:
• Preparation and management of international filing portfolios
• Australian patent and design filing and prosecution
• Patent oppositions and entitlement disputes
• Patent infringement and validity advice.
Carl has particular experience and interest in assisting his clients to defend or attack patents in patent oppositions before the Australian Patent Office. He also provides specialist patent and design infringement and validity advice for litigation.
Carl understands that intellectual property is an investment where you expect a return, and that third party patents and designs can represent a substantial business risk. He passionately pursues his clients’ interests, ensuring the highest quality intellectual property rights are obtained, alternatives to avoid third party intellectual property are fully investigated and, if necessary, that the strongest case is put to defend or challenge the validity of a patent or design.
He works closely with his colleagues in FPA to provide seamless advice of the highest quality.
Before moving to Freehills Patent Attorneys Carl worked at a specialist Intellectual Property Firm in New Zealand. He is a registered Patent Attorney in both Australia and New Zealand and a Solicitor in Australia.
Areas of Expertise
• Registered Designs
• Medical Technologies
• Consumer Products and Design
• Electronics and Electrical Engineering
• Analytical Instrumentation
• Information and Communications Technology
• Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) (Electrical and Electronic), University of Canterbury
• Masters of Engineering in Management, University of Canterbury
• Bachelor of Laws, University of New England
• Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
• Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
• Member: Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
Latest articles authored by Carl Harrap- New paradigm in Australian Patent Oppositions - The opening decision of the Australian Patent Office for 2014 – another invention refused for lack of patentable subject matter - What not to say to the Australian Patent Office
View all articles authored by Carl Harrap