Patent Attorney and Partner, Melbourne | BSc(Biochem), LLB(Hons)
Direct +61 3 9288 1485
James is the Managing Partner at Freehills Patent Attorneys. He specialises in patents for the pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors. He advises owners of rights on how to best protect and extract value from their intellectual property and how to manage issues arising from relevant intellectual property of competitors. He also advises on the related areas of confidential information and trade secrets, technology transfer and Plant Breeder’s Rights.
James has actively assisted both small and large organisations in their licensing, patent strategy and technology transfer negotiations worldwide for over 20 years.
For Australian clients, international management of intellectual property rights is of paramount importance. James advises on strategic creation, management and exploitation of intellectual property rights worldwide.
- developing IP assets
- managing IP budget and asset allocation
- advice relating to IP acquisition
- dispositions of intellectual property rights around the world
- advising in international IP disputes.
For clients outside Australia, James brings a detailed knowledge of the Australian and New Zealand pharmaceutical sector and life-sciences markets to provide insightful advice for organisations seeking to protect and exploit their intellectual property in the Australian and New Zealand marketplaces.
James has also lectured for Monash University and regularly presents at seminars and conferences on intellectual property matters relating to biotechnology and pharmaceuticals.
Areas of expertise
- Medical Treatments
- Food Technology
- Agribusiness and Agrochemicals
- Plant Breeder’s Rights
- Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry), University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Melbourne
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys - FICPI)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executive Society
- James was named as a Managing Intellectual Property IP Star for 2015.
- James has been listed in The Best Lawyers® in Australia 2015 guide for Biotechnology Law and Intellectual Property Law.
- Freehills Patent Attorneys Chemistry and Biotechnology practice was awarded the 2015 AI Intellectual Property Award as: Best Biotechnology IP Matters - Australia.
- In 2015, James was listed in the IAM Patent 1000 Guide as a Leading Patent Practitioner. James was referred to as: assisting pharmaceutical concerns with the conception and execution of global management and exploitation game plans.
- In 2014, James was listed in The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners by Intellectual Asset Management Magazine. The publication acknowledged that James 'gives great guidance and support when navigating the prosecution process in various jurisdictions.'
- James was recommended as a leading individual in prosecution in the IAM Patent 1000 Guide 2013. James was referred to as: frequently named among the nation’s top life sciences gurus.
- James was listed as a one of ’50 Patent Lawyers you should know’ by Asia IP magazine.