Patent Attorney and Senior Associate, Melbourne | BBiotech(Hons), PhD, MIPLaw
Direct +61 3 9288 1164
Adam is a registered Australian and New Zealand patent attorney. He specialises in the drafting and prosecution of global patent families related to the biotechnology and pharmaceutical fields.
He provides relevant commercial advice resulting from a deep understanding of his client's inventions and business goals.
Adam also provides strategic advice to his clients regarding the enforcement and defence of patent rights.
During his Bachelor in Biotechnology with first class honours from Flinders University of South Australia Adam undertook research at GroPep Pty Ltd (now GroPep Bioreagents) on ‘Studies into the in vitro refolding pathway of recombinant IGF-1’.
He then completed his PhD (Biochemistry) in the School of Molecular and Biomedical Science at the University of Adelaide, focusing on understanding the molecular binding specificity of the IGF family of hormones and how these proteins contribute to diabetes and cancer.
Before joining Freehills Patent Attorneys, Adam spent nearly three years as a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, United States of America. His research here involved protein and lipid kinases in cell transformation and identifying small molecules as potential lead compound for cancer therapeutics.
While in the United States of America, Adam completed a Certificate in IP Law at the University of California, San Diego.
Adam has authored 14 peer reviewed articles and reviews in journals such as Molecular and Cellular Biology, The EMBO journal and the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. Articles can be viewed at the US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, (PubMed).
Areas of expertise
• Molecular and Cell Biology
• Cancer Genetics
• Immunotherapy (particularly cancer immunotherapy)
• Protein Therapeutics (particularly antibodies)
• Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons), Flinders University of South Australia
• PhD (Biochemistry), University of Adelaide
• Master of Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
• Registered Patent Attorney (Australia)
• Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand)
• Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
• Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
• Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Latest articles authored by Adam Denley- High Court of Australia determines isolated BRCA1 gene not patentable in Australia - Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement on term of data exclusivity for biological pharmaceuticals, not patent term - Decoding Gene Patents in Australia
View all articles authored by Adam Denley